An important lesson regarding your golf swing
This post is important. It will be the most valuable golf instruction I’ll give in regards to improving your golf swing.
Until this point, much of this golf blog has been about automating your swing. And automatic is important. Because without automation you’ll never be able to take your golf game to the course. You won’t be able to perform under pressure. And you’ll almost certainly walk off the course feeling frustrated and annoyed.
And this will be the case no matter how good your golf swing is.
Put another way.
No matter how technically sound your golf swing mechanics, you will never realise your full potential if you don’t understand and then implement automatic. So yes it’s important. And I’m not about to change my tune and start teaching something different. I will always be a fan of automated golf learning.
But (you knew that was coming didn’t you?)
Thanks to a recent survey I put together, I have realised that many of you guys are struggling with your golf technique. And this is despite giving automatic golf a fair go.
So I have decided to spill the beans on what I think you need to do to improve your golf swing. Now I’m not about to start going all technical on you. And I’m certainly not contradicting myself by giving you complicated instruction. Far from that.
Here’s the thing.
Automatic golf can’t give you something that you haven’t already got. If you can’t actually hit the ball in the sweet spot, then automation is not going to help you. And, if you have tried to automate your swing, you should be now seeing some consistent shots occurring. If you’re swing is still not working that well then you probably need further assistance.
Sidenote: Ray C had a lesson with me a few weeks ago. He has always struggled with a nasty hook. Yes, automatic will help him – but some swing improvements will help too. And it’s for guys like Ray C who I have in mind as I write this.
The one thing that I’m absolutely certain of is this. If I start talking about swing plane, body pivot, forearm rotation and angles I will destroy your game. This kind of instruction doesn’t work too well (that’s my honest opinion :))
My golf swing instruction is a little bit different. The best way I can describe it is like a light. To make a light work all we have to do is flick a switch. We don’t have to concern ourselves with electricity or wires. All that is required is one little motor skill – flick the switch – and presto! The light works each time.
This simplistic approach took me years to figure out. I had golf lessons each week for two years. I traveled around and got to meet scientists and learning gurus. I practised (a lot) and played more rounds then I can remember. But the one thing that had the most profound impact on me was getting a deep understanding of keeping golf instruction simple.
And there’s more to it than than thinking you know what “simple” is. You can’t say I’ll teach someone simply but still dish up the usual crap. That doesn’t work – in fact this is probably the worst instruction of all.
What I’m talking about is giving you the road map and instructions that will allow you to improve your golf swing. But, and this is really important, these instructions can’t mess with your learning system. They have to be like the light switch – one simple instruction allows a lot of behind the scenes things take place – you reach your goals without too much stress.
Like hitting the ball high and straight without having to think about your grip, back swing, wrist cock, club face position, hips, the target, your release and follow-through all at the same time. What I’m talking about is making the golf swing as easy as humanly possible.
Sound too good to be true?
It is easy. But the instruction I’m going to share with you is not a miracle cure. It requires practice and dedication. It won’t just happen. So if you were hoping for something you’d find on the Golf Channel then I’m sorry. I can’t help you. Quick fixes don’t work – never have and never will. The sooner the golf industry (and everyone else) realises this the sooner golfers can start making real progress.
Here’s what I’ve got in mind
I’m going to release my absolute best lessons I know on building a better swing. These are not going to be about the automatic process. It’s all about developing a motor skill (your golf swing) and improving your technique. These lessons will be delivered on this blog on a post by post basis. One thing at a time.
I suspect if you’ve tried automating your game but still feel like your golf swing is lacking you’re going to want to read these posts. If you’re also looking for more of a system then this is for you. And, if you’ve tried automation without too much luck then maybe the following is what you’ve been looking for.
Here’s how it will work;
1. You will need to be a member of the Golf Tribe to gain full access. If you’re not a member then you can sign up here. There will be some information available free, but if you want to see everything, including the comments (this is where the real gems often lie) then please join. It’s only $19.95 per month and for the quality of content I think it’s worth it.
2. Each lesson will be on a post by post basis. I’m not going to do everything at once. Not only is this impossible, the crawling approach works well. Learn, apply and automate – then move on. I’m planning on delivering a knock out lesson each week. This is not set in stone – it is only a guide.
3. I’m hoping the comments section will light up. If you have any questions then use the comments section at the bottom of each lesson. Your comments will add to the quality and allow more learning to take place. If you’ve got a question then the chances are someone else will have it too. So be brave. Post any questions that you will have.
4. I may add to the content at a later date. This will depend on the questions and feedback I receive. I’m a firm believer of delivering the best content possible for this moment in time. If I learn something new or find a better way of explaining myself, then it will be added to the specific lesson. So each lesson will improve over time.
5. All Tribe members will be notified of new content via email.
6. Content will include vids, audio and images.
7. The first lesson will appear shortly. Keep your eyes peeled.
And just so you don’t forget. Automatic golf is and will always be the most important part to mastering your game. The information that I’m about to share must be used used with an automatic mindset. No exceptions.
Any questions fire away. It will be good practice.